As we count down to Opening Day we would like to highlight some of the players and coaches we will be cheering on during the 2013 season. Be sure to check out our 2013 Media Guide for more tidbits about our players and coaches.
2012 POSTSEASON HIGHLIGHTS
- Appeared in 11 of 16 games during the playoffs, allowing two runs (one earned run) on eight hits in 7.0 innings.
- Led the club with 11 appearances in the postseason.
- Earned the deciding victory in Game 4 of the World Series, as he tossed 0.1 of an inning.
- Santiago’s first gloves were homemade: thick cardboard into which he cut three holes for his ring, middle and index fingers. He received his first real glove in a community giveaway by late Giants shortstop Jose Uribe.
- He is the seventh of 12 children to subsistence farmers. His younger brother Jose is a righthanded relief pitcher in the Giants farm system.
- From the same Dominican town as former Giants’ infielder Juan Uribe, who reached the pros three years before Santiago. Santiago remembers going to Uribe’s house as a child and asking him for baseball socks.